[Mg-t] Dynamo output

Dave and Liz DuBois ddubois at sinclair.net
Mon Nov 10 14:24:34 MST 2008

John,

Look at the number on your dynamo.  If it is C39PV, then the spec is for
17 amps (204 watts).  If the number is C39PV2, the spec is 19 amps (228
watts).  The original head lights for the car were rated at 35 watts per
bulb on low beam and 45 watts on high beam.  The present day Sylvania
Silverstar (high output sealed beam halagen bubs) pull about the same
power.  I tested one that I have in the garage and it tested at 3 amps
(36 watts) for low beam and 3.9 amps (47 watts) on high beam -
essentially the same as the OEM bulbs.  LED light bars pull a very small
amount of current, so can be discounted unless you are very near to
total capacity.

A couple of considerations.  If you have th3 C39PV dynamo rated at 17
amps, you can get a repair kit for it from Holcombe Armature Co.
800-241-3027 that includes a new armature that is rated at 19 amps to
upgrade your present dynamo.  I would also get the solid state regulator
modification that Bob Jeffers (bobj50 at comcast.net) makes that contains a
protection circuit so that the dynamo will never produce more current
than its rated value.  This will protect the dynamo in case you get more
stuff drawing current than the dynamo can handle.  Finally, most of the
current being drawn by the electrical system comes from the battery,
with the dynamo primarily keeping the battery charged.  Present day
batteries will supply a lot of current for a relatively long period of
time, so if you are pulling 25 amps while driving on a cold rainy night
with the high beams, windshield wiper, and heater blower on, and the
cell phone charger plugged in, the lion's share of that is coming from
the battery, with the dynamo trying to keep up with the discharge of the
battery.  The result is that the battery will be slowly discharged.  If
you are not on a marathon run, you will get to your destination ok, but
the battery will be in a somewhat depleted state, but if it is a
relatively new battery, everything will be fine.  I would suggest that
you also get one of the battery tenders that can be left plugged in when
your car is not being used.  This will restore the charge on the battery
without overcharging it.  Bottom line, if you don't go wild with the
headlights (putting in the 2 million candle power bulbs that are so
loved by the big 4 X 4 crowd) you will be fine with the OEM dynamo.

Cheers,
Dave