[Mg-t] Stabilizer Link Repair

lawrie lawrie at britcars.com
Sun Nov 9 08:13:40 MST 2008

Nels,

The best way to get that nut behind the water pump pulley started on its thread is to hold it with a long pair of needle-nose pliers and screw the threaded rod into it. Then you can assemble the more accessible pieces to the rod with no difficulty.

The reason these engines have a stabilizer is because the mounts are so low and so close to the center of the engine's torque axis. Other engines have their mounts more to the side, higher and further away from the crankshaft.

As to why your stabilizer bracket broke - twice - I wonder if you are tensioning the rod correctly? The idea is that the rod should hold the engine in a relaxed, upright position, rather than pulling or pushing it to one side. The other important things are that the engine mount and the gearbox mounts should be in good condition. If they are old and oil-soaked, they will permit excessive engine movement which puts a strain on the engine stabilizer bar.

Cheers,

Lawrie Alexander