[Mg-t] Stabilizer Link Repair

Nels Anderson nels at flightsim.com
Sun Nov 9 07:26:33 MST 2008

For the second time since I've owned my TD the bracket that holds the
engine stabilizer link assembly to the front of the engine block has
broken. In an ideal world this would be an easy repair, since all it
requires is removing 4 nuts, replacing the broken bracket with a new
one, and re-installing the 4 nuts. Unfortunately, one of the nuts is
behind the water pump pulley and is virtually inaccessible. The last
time I did this repair I spent two weeks trying to get the nut back on
until finally a younger friend with smaller and more nimble hands was
able to get it started.

After that experience I'm dreading doing the repair again. I was
wondering if anyone had any tricks that would make this easier?

I'm kind of curious about the link itself. Other engines I'm familiar
with don't seem to have anything like this, so why do our TD engines
have it?

For reference, the link is part 1 in this diagram; the bracket that
broke is part 5:

http://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=32714

--Nels Anderson
  1953 MGTD