[Mg-t] Oil filter problem

Bob Grunau grunau.garage at sympatico.ca
Thu Dec 4 14:47:37 MST 2008

Mike,
Almost certainly the rubber gasket you replaced in the oil pump is at fault.
You must remove ALL the old gasket first, then replace with the new CORRECT
gasket. The correct rubber gasket is 0.088" to 0.090" thick.  Frequently the
new filter comes with 3 different thickness gaskets. 0.088"  is the right
one. It is a snug fit in the groove in the oil pump, groove is 0.090" wide.

But you can buy a spin-on adapter to allow use of a modern spin-on filter.
The adapter screws into the back of the oil pump in place of the old
cannister. Now when you change the filter, you do not disturb the seal in
the oil pump. And filters are probably less expensive.
And yes, I sell the adapter.

Good luck, Bob
Bob Grunau
150 Pinewood Trail