[Mg-t] Side Lamp Medallions (red buttons)

Bob Howard mgbob at juno.com
Fri Dec 7 06:49:23 MST 2007

 Hi Dan,
   The smoother, rounded appearance of the old ones may be from age and
owner effort.
   Pop bought this car new, and I recall as a kid trying to polish the
old lens to make them look as sharp as the repros of the time.  In doing
so, I'm sure I smoothed off the crisp letters that I do recall on
originals back then. I must have been a polishing fiend as a youngster,
because I polished off the paint on bonnet and fenders.  MG identified
the paint as Cellulose Enamel. Pop was a loyal customer of Dupont #7
polish, "safe for all enamels".   Problem was that English "cellulose
enamel" is American lacquer.  Good ol' #7 was way too abrasive. We
polished through the paint into the primer as we tried to get out the
dark areas, necessitating a repaint in 1961.
Bob