[Mg-mmm] door safety latch

Pete Thelander pthelander at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 21 17:57:56 MDT 2009

Don,

Lawrie correct.  What he did not get into is how to "properly mount the
striker....".   Trying to mount the striker to line up with the latch (or
visa versa) is usually a hit and miss, trial and error proposition.  What I
have found to work (and I believe is the sequence the factory must have
used) is to install the latch and striker as an assembly.  They both have
four mounting holes for attaching to their respective frames.  If you look
carefully, you will find two holes go to captive nuts in a cage which allow
them to float and the other two holes are wood screws.  Once you have the
door fitting into the body opening properly, (bend or shim hinges as
required) mount the striker with the machine bolts into the captive nuts
leaving them a bit loose.  With  the latch engaged into the striker, bring
the door closed.  Now start the machine thread bolts into the captive nuts
on the door.  Loosely tighten all four bolts and shift the latch/striker
assembly until you are happy with its location.  Now you can put in the
wood screws.  Go around one more time and cinch all the screws up tight.
Of course, the wood must be solid to give you that nice "click"  as pin
snaps into the hole in the striker.....but that can be another project that
hopefully was done before this step.

Pete
pthelander at earthlink.net

A-pillar)