[Mg-mmm] door safety latch

Lawrie Alexander lawrie at britcars.com
Wed Oct 21 10:12:58 MDT 2009

Don,

There is absolutely no need for any safety latch if the door is made to fit
and close properly! If the hinges are tight, the door fits the opening
properly and the body is solid, there will be minimal flex which would cause
the door to want to come open. So, all you have to do is properly mount the
striker so that the "pin" of the latch on the door fully enters the hole in
the striker wedge when the door is closed.

The usual problem is that people assume the door latch pin is supposed to
engage the notch on the wedge, and that the hole is there just for
decoration (or to lighten the striker?!). In fact, the notch is the
factory's "safety" and the hole is for the latch pin. When that hole is
properly aligned (by carefully fitting the striker assembly to the A-pillar)
the pin goes in so far that there's no bump on earth that would cause the
door to fly open.

Cheers,

Lawrie