[Mg-mmm] Meilenwerk

Roger M. Burnett burnett at wistar.org
Tue Feb 3 10:48:31 MST 2009

On a recent visit to Germany I discovered a fascinating organization
for classic cars.  Meilenwerk (translates as Miles Factory, but the
flavor is lost -- Meile is an obsolete German unit of about five
miles) is a new organization devoted to what Germans call
"oldtimers".  It finds interesting historically protected buildings,
connected to transportation, and renovate them to house a
comprehensive array of services.  The first, in Berlin, was set up in
2003 in what was Europe's largest streetcar depot when it was built
in 1899.  The Dusseldorf Meilenwerk (2006) is in a former locomotive
roundhouse (1930).  A third is under construction in the former
Stuttgart airport buildings (1925) and opens in June.  If you are in
any of these cities, I recommend paying Meilenwerk a visit.

We visited the Dussseldorf Meilenwerk.  Its renovation is remarkable
and takes full advantage of the semicircular layout of the former
roundhouse.  The central area is the main display area for the cars,
with a good restaurant in the middle.  The cars are all superb
examples of their kind, mainly post-war sportscars, each with a good
description.  An Invicta was among the few vintage cars on display,
as were several MG T-types.  Although the sections belong to
different dealers, this is only apparent from the map and one wanders
around freely.  There are no salesmen so the effect is more like a
museum (free) than a showroom.  Surrounding the cars, a two-tiered
ring of stacked cages, like those used for city parking, is
reminiscent of the building's former purpose in housing private cars
for individuals who want safe, dry and warm garages.  This feature is
a stroke of genius as it adds more cars to the overall display.  The
stars here were three enormous 1920's sports cars in a row (Mercedes,
Alfa Romeo and Bentley).  A wide circular passageway separates the
garages from an outer ring of workshops.  These too contained
interesting vehicles, including a (maybe too) pristine Type 35
Bugatti.  Stairways lead to the passageway roof from which one can
inspect the cars garaged in the upper tier and also look down into
the workshops.  The whole effect is one of light (despite the very
rainy day) and quality in details (the roof is an inflated double
membrane) and this too adds enormously to the experience.  The
building is also used for events and to support car club activities.
We were all (many different ages and interests) very impressed, as
would anyone who enjoys fine automobiles and architecture.  The
Meilenwerk website http://www.meilenwerk.de/  is only in German but
it has many pictures.  If you click on the box for each city, then on
the box "Gebdude" (building), you will find views of the buildings
before they were renovated.

Roger