[Land-speed] Angle grinder mount

23weldon 23.weldon at comcast.net
Mon Feb 10 00:39:20 MST 2014

I like the idea of pulleys.  I've seen one small bench lathe with a 4-1/2"
angle grinder set up that way to drive the head stock with the handle
sticking up vertically.  These universal motors in grinders put out a lot of
power for their size.  Enough to take a decent lathe cut on steel or
aluminum, especially if you reduce the spindle speed with the pulley setup.
Plus you can reduce the speed of universal (brush type) electric motors with
a heavy duty voltage controller.  Food for creative thought here.
Over the years I've seen a lot of emergency repairs done in the pits with
hand tools that could be much better done with a power tool if such were the
kind of setup compact and affordable enough to be part of the average
racer's kit.  .........  Ed Weldon