[Land-speed] Fun things...

Jim Volgarino volgarino at mail.com
Wed Apr 2 11:07:29 MDT 2014

----- Original Message -----
From: Jon Wennerberg
Sent: 04/02/14 11:06 AM
To: Larry Mayfield
Subject: Re: [Land-speed] Fun things...

Foot pounds forever! Jon a/k/a SSS On Apr 2, 2014, at 11:58 AM, Larry Mayfield wrote: > Ok, so I woke the list up with my simple what's going on message to the > list, eh? How about some fun thinking. One of my pet peeves is the not so > subtle change from the way we talk about the units of torque, i.e. lbs-ft > versus ft-lbs. I have a hard time understanding a) the necessity of that, > b) the reasoning of it, and c) the who gives a crap of it. > > The rules of arithmetic (math) are pretty well known, and when the > associative laws are used then it does not matter one whit. And we all grew > up using it as ft-lbs so let's start a movement back to the way things were. > > > Reasoning is thusly... think about a dyno, say a water brake one. It has a > lever that measures from the center line of the brake to the load cell and > that is usually measured in feet not centimeters, millimeters, meters or > yards. The load is measured at the end of that lever. The associative laws > say that you can use any order in multiplication of numbers and by that I > mean it does not matter if you multiply the length of the lever by the load > first or the load times the lever. One way gets you ft - lbs, the other > gives you lbs-ft. The order of units is not material. And ft can stand for > foot or feet. > > Who's with me? Let's take our heritage back! Ft-lb ers unite and arise! > Time we reclaimed our way of life.. Hell Yeah! > > mayf _______________________________________________ Land-speed at autox.team.net Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html Archive: http://www.team.net/archive Forums: http://www.team.net/forums Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/land-speed/volgarino@mail.com