[Land-speed] red hat?

23weldon 23.weldon at comcast.net
Fri Oct 11 18:02:05 MDT 2013

You guys go take another looks at this.  Something this simple that can
travel at 200mph plus on the ground offers possibilities for a research tool
for high speed vehicle performance.  I've suggested this sort of thing
before...........  Anyone connected to an engineering student or school
faculty member that may see an interesting study subject here?
I think the first thing I'd look at is whether a tether line of some kind
kevlar like stuff or carbon fiber could be designed so it wouldn't drag on
the ground or have too much aero drag and overwhelm other forces that you
want to investigate......I can visualize a big truck with crane outriggers
and a tall pylon on the bed parked in the middle of a dry lake.  (sounds a
lot cheaper than a big wind tunnel) Several hundred yards of tether line
would lead to an unmanned small streamliner. The primary control provided by
the tether keeps it on a safe path and secondary manual or automatic
controls and wireless telemetry provide the means for conducting
experiments.  The beauty of this tool is that you won't run out of lake bed
as you would with a straight line vehicle.
I'm not sure the BLM would go for a project like this at busy El Mirage.
But there are other places less traveled.
Ed Weldon