[Land-speed] Towing ( near LSR )

Mike Brakel mikebrakel at verizon.net
Tue Mar 26 17:34:50 MDT 2013

It's both, weight carried on the tow vehicle and towed trailer weight.

Tires may be the limiting safety factor.  My 2010 F250 Crew Cab has a "tire
load data" sticker on the door frame along with the gross vehicle weight
rating sticker.  According to the tire sticker my truck's maximum carry
capacity is 2,009 lbs.  Look through your manual for an explanation of the
GVWR.

There will also be a limit to the weight you can tow.  Look for a trailer
towing table in your manual.  Among other factors, trailer weight limits
will be based on type of truck (i.e.: F250, F350), axle ration, etc.  My
manual says I can tow 10,659 lbs, maximum.

So you can see if I have 1,500 lb tongue weight I can only add 509 lbs to
the truck and my trailer can't weigh more than 10,659 lbs.

Mike Brakel
80 Theory
ECTA:  MPS-G 1650/4  215.500 MPH
LTA:  MPS-G 3000/4  225.300 MPH