[Land-speed] Oil and Filter Recommendations...

Ed Van Scoy ed at vetteracing.com
Mon Jul 29 21:55:55 MDT 2013

Rick,
When I was campaigning a road racer I ran 50 wt oil mainly because of the
sustained heat that the engine had to endure. If heat is a problem with a
specific turbo application I couldn't agree more with you, but at LSR events I
generally worry more about getting oil up to operating temps.....In my N/A
engine, I never see water temps above 210 (I try to leave the line at 160 deg
at least) at the end of 5 miles , but with a 12 qt dry sump, the oil temps are
not even close to engine temps. 50 wt oil would need to be pumped with a
concrete pump at the winter meets ( I use a roots-style oil pump instead of
the typical Aviad). But what I'm trying to say is oil protects best at
operating temperature..... Would like to hear your take on typical lakes cold
starts from the start line and viscosity.
Ed