[Land-speed] OFF Topic: Desk Top Computer Question Involving a Farkled Win XP Pro OS

Larry Mayfield drmayf at mayfco.com
Sun Apr 1 08:45:52 MDT 2012

Hit delete now unless you are interested in this issue, lol.

I have a hard drive which is in trouble. Out of an older computer I
have. It uses (used, lol) WIn XP Pro as the OS. It had a serious Trojan
which denied access to the basic operation of the OS. Unfortunately
during the attempted repair, I used a version of XP that was not the
correct version or matching what was in the drive for windows. It is now
stuck in never never land. When I boot it up, it comes up in Safe mode,
except that i immediately says this needs to be activated and that it
can only be activated in the normal start up mode. No matter what is
done, it always restarts in Safe mode.  Now, I can install another hard
drive as the primary drive and this drive as the slave and I can start
the computer and examine the hard drive. In fact, this is how I finally
got rid of the trojan that was living on it.  I think that if I could
cripple the OS in the slave drive then I might be able to make it the
primary then and retry to repair the existing OS by using the repair
function on the XP set up disk.  Does tis sound like a reasonable
approach or is ther some other manner to get the system back to a
stable position where I can reinstall XP?  If I can cripple the OS what
files do I need to rename or?

Any helkp out there? Please reply off list as nobody else needs to be
bothered with this.

drmayf at mayfco.com

many thanks hopefully for outstanding suggestions on how to do this!

mayf