[Land-speed] That was interesting

Mark J Bradakis mark at bradakis.com
Thu Jan 27 22:26:21 MST 2011

I am currently working as an auto parts driver.  Some aspects of the job
are nice, some aren't.  Today I made a delivery to this one shop which
rarely orders from us, but it happens.  It was a carb rebuild kit for a
1970 Ford Torino big block.  I walk in and the guy says "Utah Fast Pass,
nice."

I had sort of forgotten I was wearing the hat I got from the first running
of Utah Fast Pass back in 2006.  I may have mentioned it on this list
before.  Anyway that was the event where during the top speed segment
a Ferrari Enzo got a little scraped up.  Okay, it left the pavement at
close to 200 mph and rolled about half a dozen times, if not more.  So
when the guy comments on the hat I tell about being on the road events
crew and picking up over a million dollars worth of Ferrari a handful at
a time.  He says "Oh, Richard's car" and tells me what happened since
then.

The guy, Richard Lossee, rebuilt the car to slightly different specs, and
has been running it on the Salt Flats.  He set a record for C/BFMS in the
World Finals of 237.871 back in October.  Not bad for what was once a
basket case.

mjb.