[Land-speed] Running an Automatic Trans without a Torque Converter

Dave Dahlgren dahlgren536 at comcast.net
Thu Dec 1 08:25:06 MST 2011

By the time you buy the parts make all the mods to put a clutch in front of
the automatic then buy a clutch flywheel master cylinder clutch cylinder
throwout bearing clutch pedal assembly and appropriate scatter sheild you
will be money behind and have more parts to hurt you than you had. For low
cost buy a race converter that is made for what you want to do. It also
depends on the gear ratios in your transmission and what the torgue
multiplication was doing to help you as well. Years ago I played with a
'clutch flight' and it was a tinkerer's nightmare and the car was not faster
in any way it just broke more often.
Dave
527 mph @38000 ft row 14 seat A