[Land-speed] Cam Belt-Drives

NT788 at comcast.net NT788 at comcast.net
Thu May 27 10:47:29 MDT 2010

Attention to and learning detail is what makes an engine work! I can put on
decals real good, and that's about it!

Jack

Mayf's timely question has raised another issue. If one was to believe
advertising you would think that a belt drive was a magic excelsior to
dampen all the bad harmonics coupled to the cam. Not being an engineer it
sounded like a plausible solution. However, as a technocrat suspicious of
unsubstantiated advertising, I am always looking for good data proving the
supposition. I am still neutral about belt drive claims. Testing and
engineering analysis to prove belt-drive claims is non-trivial and
expensive. In Experimental Aviation a belt-drive-prop-reduction-unit has
always claimed, among other things, to be beneficial due to its dampening
characteristics. B So, in absence of good data, it is refreshing to see an
interesting article that appears to debunk the status quo.

http://www.eaa.org/experimenter/articles/2009-10_beltdrive.asp

Knowledge is horsepower. Too much is a good thing :-)
Land-speed at autox.team.net
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums