[Land-speed] NOT LSR, but a car question none the less..

John Szalay jpszalay01 at insightbb.com
Tue May 25 13:56:17 MDT 2010

 I know that everyone is working toward Bonneville
and time is running out..
 but I came across some photos in the LIFE archives that
 answered one question I had for many years.

 There was a Model A Ford that the test pilots at
 Muroc & Edwards drove. Heard the story for years.
 even has half a page in Chuck Yeagers autobiography.
 The LIFE archives provided a couple of photos of the
 car showing the 1956 Calif. license plate  GGD-283
 photos were taken March 1956, One were in the Life
 Magazine issue of June 18, 1956

 Can anyone come up with a way to obtain the serial Or VIN of
 that Ford, from the CA DMV ?

 If we could trace that car , I think it would be worth seeing
 if its still on the road, and what shape its in..
I have no financial interest, just curious..

 Some of the past owners of that 31 Ford..(Yeager's words)
 Joe Wolfe
 Neil Latham
 Chuck Yeager
 Pete Everest
 Iven Kincheloe
 Bob White

 IF you recognize those names, you know that in the 40s, 50s,
 and 60s they were some of the fastest men in the world.
 Test pilots at Muroc which later became Edwards test center.

 Chuck Yeager flew the X-1 to be the first man to break the sound
 barrier, Bob White flew the X-15 to Mach 4, 5, & 6
the others just as fast but not as lucky.
 The car, by gentleman's agreement was supposed to remain at Edwards
 and was to be sold only to test pilots, for no more then $100.
 According to Chuck Yeager,  Bob White could not keep it running,
 ended up selling it to an airman, who, when he left, took the car
 with him.
 Here are photos of Chuck Yeager with the car.
 and Pete Everest during the time he flew the X-2
 the photos of the car, front and rear, show the  plate in 1956.

 the car with 1956 Calif plates
 http://www.gstatic.com/hostedimg/2ba498ec50d42232_large
 http://www.gstatic.com/hostedimg/9b3c77a3c552c5fd_large

 on the apron at Edwards. 1956 with Pete Everest at the wheel
 http://www.gstatic.com/hostedimg/96ed9b88ad5f0359_large

 On the Flightline at Edwards AFB 1956
 B-50 mothership with X-2 on-board.
 http://www.gstatic.com/hostedimg/8380861c2c1a4d85_large
 http://www.gstatic.com/hostedimg/3a4f0d930a0d646d_large

 Pete Everest with car , 1956 lic plate visible
 http://www.gstatic.com/hostedimg/0b0136c339a14061_large

 Pete Everest getting a pushstart.
 http://www.gstatic.com/hostedimg/6b9546d3fa230cb0_large
 http://www.gstatic.com/hostedimg/d4e7d10fdfb3a303_large
 http://www.gstatic.com/hostedimg/90dd21074a2fb4b8_large

 Closeup pf the car and Pete Everest
 http://www.gstatic.com/hostedimg/def60a78203b5709_large

  test pilot Iven C. Kincheloe posing with his plane.
 http://www.gstatic.com/hostedimg/d74bfa24281392cf_large

 Chuck Yeager with the car..
  http://jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=428585&page=22

 Leaving the flight line or guard shack