[Land-speed] Multiple Engines

Neil Albaugh neil at dbelltech.com
Wed Mar 24 08:48:44 MST 2010

John;

Crankshaft designs vary depending on what the engine is designed to drive.
An aircraft engine drives a propeller, which is considered a "flexible
load". Their crankshafts are light and so they lack the torsional stiffness
of an automotive crankshaft. They also run at a relatively low RPM; even so,
some engines have a section of the tach with a yellow segment and a warning
not to operate for a long time within this RPM region. This is because it is
a high harmonic vibration RPM and would cause eventual fatigue failure.

The old Mercedes GP car had a straight 8 cylinder engine but took the power
off the middle of the crank to get around the long straight- 8 crank
flexibility problem. They essentially converted the straight- 8 to two
coupled inline 4s.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ