[Land-speed] Multiple Engines

drmayf drmayf at mayfco.com
Tue Mar 23 16:16:34 MST 2010

Hey, Dave! Good to see you survived all the snow and stuff.  You bring
up an interesting sub plot in your statement.  And that would be
placing teh  cranks in such a position that teh torques do add
together.   Off hand it seems that by adding together such that the
firing pulses add does indeed add the torques together and isn't that an
increase in power?  If the pulses are off set, then the torque is much
smoother but  it might not make as much horsepower because the peak
torque is way lower?  Thinking like a V16 with two cylinders firing at
the same time. To me that would also seem to lessen the load on the
front of  the back engine's crank snout. Because both cranks are in
synch with each other in firing.  Have to also watch for crank harmonics
as well.  One of the smarter folk on teh list might be abble to do a
harmonic analysis of two cranks tied together.

Just odd thoughts as I do not and will not likely ever have that
challenge, lol...

mayf