[Land-speed] Dahlgren blather

Dave Dahlgren dahlgren536 at comcast.net
Sat Dec 11 15:13:02 MST 2010

I think my so called problem of attitude is I personally have zero patience
for pronouncements with no math or logic included. The last example was the
balancing thing if it is a waste of time show the math that supports the
theory. Back in the 80's I talked at great length with Stewart Warner
engineers about balancing theory and practice so I would have a clue
balancing engines with a newly purchased balancer. What I go out of the days
long discussions was you can balance a poorly designed crankshaft and still
be in trouble. There is a lot more to it that just making the machine happy.
The real truth is balance of sorts is almost like a torque curve there is a
sweet spot and a range either side of it and the goal is the get the balance
spot on for the range of interest where maximum effort is required. There is
a good deal of math involved that describes how it all works. I have
personally made some HP gains with balance and when you start looking at the
numbers they can get to crazy values. Do a Google search on John Heywood and
MIT and you will find various books and papers regarding everything to do
with internal combustion engines. The SAE is another good choice though the
info is not free but they did generate the knowledge for free either so you
get what you pay for. Personally I have thousands tied up in books that
matter and SAE publications all read and most understood fairly well. Some
theory some practical application and refer to them when a problem does not
make sense and add to them when needed to solve a new problem. If my
punctuation and spelling skills fail at times it is the way it is when you
spend the better part of life working on math physics and practical
applications of them the best I can do is press F7 and hope for the best. My
education in writing grammar and style were personally limited for a bunch
of reasons that there is no need to get into here but at the time it was a
waste of time and energy in my opinion as a child and lets just leave it at
that.
Dave