[Land-speed] OT: My computer drash

Larry Mayfield drmayf at mayfco.com
Sun Aug 29 10:00:28 MDT 2010

  I took the hard drive to the drive experts and had them take a look at
it. Their comment was..."it's gone..all gone..."   But, am persevering
and I purchased some software to let me scan for deleted files. I ran
that program and found 63,000 deleted files and when I told it to
recover the deleted items, 14,000 or so were recovered. Unfortunately
not one single one could be opened and had significant data in it.
Most were just headers.

But, before all teh stuff hit the fan, I had maybe 25 GB of stuff on
this120 GB drive.  Some how, the amount of free space has dwindled to
approx 57 GB. When I use disk frag to analyze the disk and, no I haven't
defragged yet, I see that most of the disk has lots of stuff on it.
When I use the recovery console I still cannot get to the area where the
stuff seems to be.  So, I seem to recall looking at a freeware program
that would scan the disk and then let me put the cursor over a section
of that scan and it would tell me what was there. Have any of you heard
of anything like that? Or know of a program that will let me look at the
entire disk surface?

hopefully, one of you do...