[Land-speed] Ford Flathead

desotoman @dslextreme.com desotoman at dslextreme.com
Thu Aug 5 11:53:37 MDT 2010

Hi Skip,

IMO the key words everyone has to remember in this discussion is "Vintage
Engine".  If the rules say 1953 and earllier Ford/ Mercury passenger car
engine, then a motor produced in the 1980's would not be vintage. Also the
French made some changes to the block and I have been told it is about 30
lbs heavier than the Ford counterpart and much stronger.  By keeping the
rules at 1953 and before makes it truly a "Vintage Engine", and the block
limits the amount of HP one can make. The french blocks would have an unfair
advantage over the ford/mercury blocks, and that is where the playing field
would be unlevel.  There is no shortage of Ford/Mercury blocks so that in
itself is not a problem.

In regards to  the aftermarket engine casting for other than Vintage Engine
classes, The only other class I might have a problem with them running one
in is in production class, since it would not be a production engine off the
assembly line.

I am not trying to start a big discussion on this subject, like someone said
it has been discussed to death on other forums. These are just my views on
the subject.

Tom G.