[Land-speed] Ford Flathead

23weldon 23.weldon at comcast.net
Thu Aug 5 11:26:18 MDT 2010

Dan - Minor historical note, not very PC these days.  Back in New Jersey in
the 1950's they were referred to as "Chinese" flatheads.  I guess they must
have had old updraft carbs on the exhaust ports.  Marry a Model A intake
flange to a flathead exhaust manifold, one carb on each side.  That would
make a pretty crazy street rod project today. Who's going to be the first
rat rodder to show up at the Salt with one of those?
I wonder how it would run with a normal rotation cam if you hooked the
battery up backwards to make the whole thing turn over CCW , kept the
ignition coil the right polarity and set the ignition about 15 degrees
retard from the stock position.  Of course use a model A rear end so the
ring gear can be flipped to the other side.
BTW, Dave McCain has an interesting story about his experience with the
flathead exhaust through the hood of the pinto. (If he's willing to admit to
it)
Ed Weldon