[Land-speed] A "Rat's Pix" page from World of Speed

Ray Buck rbuck at xmission.com
Fri Sep 18 22:53:53 MDT 2009

I'm back home for the moment.  I left the salt around 5 pm
Friday.  It's 10:30 now.  I transferred the files from the laptop to
the main box and threw a quick web thingie together:
http://www.chevyasylum.com/lsr/bsf2009/wos/pix/Welcome.html

It was a hard workin 2.5 days.  And it ain't gonna get a lot easier
for about 10 days.  Rolex Grand-Am tomorrow, then back to the salt
for the Shootout.  I might get a half-day off if they take extra time
to set that up.

There were several records broken, but I really didn't have time to
get into the speeds/records.  I was pretty much on my own, since the
owner of landracing (Seldom Seen Slim, aka Jon Wennerberg, for whom I
was working) was busy getting his wife, Nancy into the 200 mph club
on a Hayabusa.  She ran 204 today (I missed the run cuz I took a
potty break...dammit!) and has to run 206 tomorrow to break the
record over 200.  It's a slightly strange deal, but that's the way they run it.

There were a few scares...the worst one was Bob Johnson in his Caddy
XLR-S (I think) who had broken the C/Gas Modified Sports record at
Speed week and was trying to get the Fuel record by adding a little
nitro to the mix.  He'd just run 257 to qualify for the record and
all he had to do was stop, turn around, go to impound and repeat it
the next morning.  However, he didn't expect the chute to lift the
ass end of the car off the ground.  When that happened, the front end
dug in and it flipped end-over-end several times.  Bob, the owner,
builder and driver of the car was hung upside-down in the harness cuz
it landed on its lid.  When they got him out, all he had was a bloody
nose...probably from hangin like that for a few minutes before the EV
guys got there.  Tom Shannon (friend of mine from Miller's and USFRA
for years) was the first one on the scene, but he didn't wanna let
him out of the harnesses until he had some help.  But I was real
happy to shake Bob's hand later that evening and see that he was up,
walking around and bitching cuz he couldn't back up the
record.  Oh...and that he had a wrecked race car.

There were a fair number of blown motors, some of which oiled things
down a bit (most of it seeps into the salt, not like asphalt) and a
few spins.  There were also some of the craziest vehicles (and I use
the term loosely) running on the 130 mph Club course.  Karts, street
luges (one ran on the long course at over 150 mph...with the driver
lying on his back) and various and sundry other wheeled things.

I gotta get some sleep.

Ray