[Land-speed] British Steam/LSR Measuring Devices

BWANA343 at aol.com BWANA343 at aol.com
Thu Sep 3 09:30:26 MDT 2009

In a message dated 9/3/2009 9:49:04 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
jonwennerberg at nancyandjon.org writes:

I won't  get into a discussion about the relative accuracy of surveying
methods -- I'm not trained in that field and can't offer any real
input.  I have questions -- but will ask a surveyor, not this  board.

Good question, how do you check the accuracy of the measuring devices?
We had the Maine State Police up on June 3rd to use LASER distance
measurement to check the distance at Loring, nice fresh state of the art stuff,
did the one and a half miles to within under 3 inches linear. The 132ft L X
150ft W trap box was perfect as far as I know, as these devices improve at
shorter distances.
My point on starting this thread was both on discussing various methods
currently utilized and what might be available to improve our sport, not to
defend or criticize a specific type or brand on anybody's' venue.
Again, it would be nice if there was a standardized measuring method/device
 that could also lead to a similar sanctioning criteria for all LSR. Good
Luck  with that, it seems...
What I wanted was to improve acceptance of racers accomplishments at our
place by garnering respect for our diligence and the equipment we use. I
always stated we compare to no place else, just would like our peers to  agree
we did what we did. as honestly as possible.
Now I go for another cuppa Black Coffee.

Bob W, Loring Guy