[Land-speed] NON-LSR, LIGHT BULB ADVISORY

Jon Wennerberg jonwennerberg at nancyandjon.org
Fri Jan 16 05:21:58 MST 2009

On Jan 15, 2009, at 4:36 PM, joseph lance wrote:

This is an alert---as you may know Congress has passed a law banning
incandescent light bulbs and mandating the use of fluorescents
beginning in
2012.

I have a lot of flood lamps and track lighting bulbs of various sizes
and
types on dimmer switches. Some manufacturers are starting to make
dimmable
fluorescent bulbs but they are very expensive compared to incandescent.

Lance

Lance:

Before you rule out the dimmable fluorescents -- give one or two a
try.  I've got one - and the cost for the bulb itself is about the
same as for a non-dimmable fluorescent.  No need to give up your need
for dimming on a "Costs too much" basis -- the dimmer you've already
bought (which wasn't all that cheap, I expect) will work with the new
type bulb.

I've converted our entire house to fluorescent lamps (save one or two
specialty bulbs that aren't yet available in fluorescents.
Spotlights, floodlights, indoors and outdoors -- at least two dozen in
all.  I admit there are differences between them and the old-style
incandescents.  Fluorescents take a few seconds to reach full
brightness -- up to a minute for units that are outdoors in the sub-
zero cold (it's -13F as I type this).  And, on the other hand,
incandescent bulbs use four or seven (or whatever) times more energy
to give the same amount of light.  The manufacturers claim that
fluorescents last far longer than an incandescent of similar light
output - while using less energy over the life of the bulb, and the
increased life at fewer cents per hour of operation are where the user
(you or me) gets his investment returned.  I haven't had many
fluorescents "burn out" yet so can't really compare, but I've been
anal enough to write the in-service date on the new bulbs so that when
they do go bad -- I'll know how long they lasted,.

Don't knee-jerk against the fluorescent bulbs until you've tried them
- and then you won't find nearly as much reason to do so as you state
in your message.

       Jon Wennerberg
Tall guy with moustache
and a pair of 2 Club hats