[Land-speed] Ballast.... and Hotels......

neil at dbelltech.com neil at dbelltech.com
Fri Jan 2 14:55:08 MST 2009

Mayf;

Here's what I'd do-- calculate the shear load (F) that would be created by a
crash of perhaps 30 Gs (A) on the weight (M) that you're bolting down. (F =
M * A) Divide this shear load by the number of bolts (use as many as you
can) and then look up the shear strength of various sizes and materials of
bolts.

Whatever you do use large washers under the heads of the bolts as well as
under the nuts where they go through the sheet metal. A strong bolt is only
as safe as the bearing strength of what it's put through.

Add another safety factor to the calculated result if you want to be extra
conservative.

Maybe someone else may have a better idea.....

Regards, Neil   Tucson, AZ