[Land-speed] Old Speed Records...

James Tone gmc6power at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 11 12:35:24 MST 2009

Karol Miller did it with his 1956 Ford Victoria in the 50's. I believe he ran at Bonneville first and at a later date went to Daytona.  When he first ran at Bonneville he used an unblown 300+ inch engine in "C" and ran near 150 mph. If you look up the old Hot Rod Magazines that was considered one of the best achievments when he did it. At Daytona he used a smaller cubic engine with a Latham blower and went 158. I have a copy of his speed at Daytona in 1958. He also ran that same combination at Bonneville but I don't have the speed. The speeds were very close to the same.

Last year he was prepping to return to Bonneville with a clone of the original '56 Victoria. I haven't talked with him lately so I don't know how the car was coming along. He is still considered one of the greatest Ford Y-Block racers of all time and a hero in that fraternity. He is also one of my all time heros in racing.

He also has a NHRA Championship ring when the Singer-Miller dragster won the championship during the nitro ban. It was powered by a big OHV Lincoln...JD

  Seems like wet sand would have a lot.