[Land-speed] O2 Sensor Bung Extender

Kirkwood saltfever at comcast.net
Sun Apr 5 12:42:34 MDT 2009

Mayf: There are two issues. The sensor body temp is limited to a max of 900
deg F and the gas temp limit is about 1300 deg F.  Part number 3764 costs
$12.00 and raises the sensor tip out of the hot flowing gases. If the sensor
is located at least 10-12 inches downstream of the turbine you may not have
a sensor-body-temp problem but a hot gas problem. 3764 gets the sensor tip
out of the hot gas stream. If you feel you need the $89 heat sink you can
make one simply with some small copper stock. Drill a hole the same size of
the sensor thread OD and us the copper stock as a gasket when you screw the
sensor into your existing bung. That should solve the problem and if you
could direct air to it that would be even better. Any copper tubing left
over after plumbing the shop for compressed air?  Cut a small piece. Slice
it lengthwise and hammer it flat. Annealing may be required. A 2 inch square
should be all you need.

According to Klaus (Mr. Innovate tech director) there is no time lag with a
stand-off scenario. Gas particles are traveling at molecular speed. The WB
is doing about 1,000 calculations per sec but averaging them and reporting
at 12/sec.   -Elon

drmayf <drmayf at mayfco.com>

I may have toasted my O2 sensor last time out. It is in a very hot exhaust
gas location, just after the turbo. I know that Innovate sells teh HBX-1
extender and it costs 89 bucks But, are there other off the shelf extenders
that may be a tad cheaper?  I think I would also like one a bit longer than
the HBX-1 just for insurance.  I can make one also, from a damaged O2
sensor...

Does the length of an extender play much part in the lag time of a reading?
Seems to me it would.