[Land-speed] Home Generator suggestions

Jim Webb jimwebb at nutsracing.com
Sat Sep 27 05:06:17 MDT 2008

Hi Karl,

The generator we ran on for a week is one I have had for several years. It
is a 10KW model with an 18Hp V twin B&S, gasoline. It has pull start and
electric start. Cost a bit under $2K 8 years ago. Since we live in an
all-electric house with a water well and aerobic septic pump, I needed
something that would run the well and pump the crap as well as a few other
appliances. This has all the power we needed after the storm. It ran two
fridges, a freezer, the well, two water heaters (not simultaneously) and a
small window AC. We could make coffee, toast, and run a microwave. There is
no doubt that we could have gotten by with much less power, but running the
well was really important. As was the dear one's AC.
The two biggest downsides are noise and fuel consumption. I figured about 1
gallon an hour which is about double what the folks running the 3.5-5KW
models are burning.
The questions you have to ask yourself are:
1. Do you want a portable model, or one that is dedicated to running your
home at a moment's notice?
2. How often do you need backup power?
3. What is your budget?
For a portable model, about 5KW is plenty for most needs and they are fairly
inexpensive ($600-$1K). Gasoline powered is OK or get a tri-fuel that you
can also run on propane. Be sure you have enough gas cans (or propane) to
run for a few days, since an extended power outage means you can't go get
more! (Which is why we had two vehicles full of gas and used the diesel
truck to get around till gas was available).
If you need to run the whole house and need standby power often, consider a
stationary model ($3K-$5K). The best option here (IMHO) is one that runs on
natural gas - if you have that plumbed to your house. Even if the power is
out, the gas is usually on (except probably in earthquake country). These
also run on propane, but you need a large tank for extended runs. A side
benefit is that the fuel doesn't go bad sitting around for a year or more.
Also, pay attention to what Ed said, and get a transfer switch wired in by a
professional for a safe installation.
You can learn all about generators at northerntool.com

Jim Webb
Choc Full o' Nuts