[Land-speed] Home Generator suggestions

Ed Weldon 23.weldon at comcast.net
Fri Sep 26 18:52:52 MDT 2008

Carl -- I've had a lot of experience with a home emergency generator.  They
are commonplace in the California coastal mountain area where we have lived
for 34 years.  I suffered with a little B&S for 10 years until we could
afford a decent machine.  We got a 4000 watt electric start Honda and very
soon installed a transfer switch to get away from extension cords and the
possible safety problems of poor grounds sending voltages back up the lines
where they get multiplied 100 times by the transformers.
Ours runs most of the house including the fridge, freezer, pellet stove and
even a toaster if needed.  It's too small to do the range, water heater, air
conditioner or our well pump (fortunately we have an elevated water tank
that feeds the house by gravity).  But there's enough reserve capacity for
one additional small 15 amp appliance(like a toaster) as long as it doesn't
have a big electric motor that draws a lot of startup current.
If you can't afford or justify a high quality generator and choose something
a good bit cheaper just make sure you are well equipped with starting fluid.
A significant step up from my setup would be an automatic starting propane
or diesel generator.  Propane works well around here because it doesn't get
that cold and lots of folks heat with propane so they have big tanks on
site.  Whatever you do don't fool around with a "cheater cord" (one with
male plugs on each end).
Any more questions contact me at 23.weldon at comcast.net.
Ed Weldon  Los Gatos, CA