[Land-speed] Accident Data Acquisition

Elon saltfever at comcast.net
Thu Sep 11 15:39:01 MDT 2008

I posted the following on landracing.com however, I don't see any of the
regulars on this list commenting.  My posting was in response to all the
recent comments on this LSR list about the Hans device. I thought posting to
landracing.com would be exposure to a larger audience with the corresponding
larger feedback. However, and surprisingly, only 3 bike racers replied. So I
am re-posting my comments here.

"I think there is more or less agreement that collecting the best
engineering data from an accident helps everybody. SCTA already does
accident analysis that is not shared. And that information may or may not
result in changes or additions to rule book safety regulations. So the
question is; who should be responsible for accident Data Acquisition System
(DAQ) if the information is never shared.

The high cost of safety equipment has already been mentioned and a black box
would be too costly a requirement for every racer. However, SCTA could
create their own DAQ.  It could be installed into each car on the starting
line and removed at a collecting point on the return road to be brought back
to the line. It would not take many units to keep up with the flow of
traffic. A simple, flat plate mounting base would cost the racer nothing to
add to his cage.  With clever design the DAQ could be held in with locking
DeStaco clamps or over-center devices.  Design intent would be an
installation in 10-15 seconds. It would have its own self contained battery
power (charged at night) and a SD or CF card. The card would be removed
after an accident".