[Land-speed] Ballast

drmayf drmayf at mayfco.com
Wed Sep 3 20:11:36 MDT 2008

I keep reminding mysef that the Sunbeam is pretty light weight. So to
that end Ihave been looking for ballast. I have these lovely rectangular
tube frame rails which beg to be filled with something.  So I was
messing around th eother day on ebay and found something that interested
me. It is a steel shot grit used in blasting heavy iron castings. It
comes in a lot of different grit sizes from 0.007 to something like
0.025 diameters. Smaller is more dense. And th stuff is oiled so it is
kinda slippery (according to the guy I chatted with)  Has any amoung you
ever used such a product as ballast? I would pur the stuff into the
frame tubes and then seal the end to keep it all in place. And since
this is frame, it is way down low which is good.  I figure I have enough
frame locations to add about 400 pounds to the car just this way.

Anybody use something like this?