[Land-speed] Theft Insurance

Jon Wennerberg jonwennerberg at nancyandjon.org
Tue Nov 11 16:07:37 MST 2008

On Nov 11, 2008, at 5:52 PM, BWANA343 at aol.com wrote:

Sometime between 7pm Oct 31 (Halloween) and Mon morning the 3rd, my
race  car
trailer was broken into and mostly looted while it was away at the
shop on
Long Island, NY,

Bob:

Major Bummer!  I'm sorry to hear of your loss.  Frustrating, isn't it
-- the feeling of being violated.  I wish there was something that we
could do for you for now.

Your comments on the insurance, though, are what brought me to write
this.  I've used specialty insurance on my race bikes and the trailer
-- but never put in a claim.  My trailer is (presently) insured
through my auto-owners policy, but I've had coverage through
Motorsports Ins (in the SCTA rulebook) -- and there it's "specified
risk", where you tell them how much coverage you want for the race
vehicle.  They also then provide coverage for the trailer, for tools,
for darned near everything, like the t-shirts that we take along to
sell, and so on.  I get to pay for everything, of course.

But I've never had to put in a claim.  My question -- is your
insurance with one of these specialty companies, or through your
regular insurance?

To the others that are reading this -- have any of you had experience
with this sad event?  Can you answer some of the questions I've asked
Bob?  Is there something we can ALL learn from his misfortune?

Regards,

       Jon Wennerberg
Tall guy with moustache
and a pair of 2 Club hats