[Land-speed] Shoestring Speedtiming

neil at dbelltech.com neil at dbelltech.com
Sat May 3 11:02:29 MDT 2008

Bobby;

You might be able to build a decent timer by using an electronic frequency
counter in a "start- stop" mode. Two photocell beam breakers plus a huge
roll of wire would complete the system. Read out the time and then push the
"reset" button.

You can find counters on the surplus market and on eBay. The photocell
sensors can also be found there. The sensors would be called a "beam
breaker" or something like that. The most convenient type would use a light
beam projected to a reflector on the other side of the track. This
eliminates having to have wires crossing the track for separate projectors &
detectors.

Make sure the detectors are fast enough to give you the accuracy you need
for this application.

Regards, Neil   Tucson, AZ