[Land-speed] Shoestring Speedtiming

bobbyhotrods at comcast.net bobbyhotrods at comcast.net
Sat May 3 05:55:12 MDT 2008

After months of pursuit without being knocked out of the box, we, (Bwana and I), are getting closer to being able to stage LSR time trials at the former Loring AFB in northern Maine this summer.
It's a great venue at almost 14,000' by 300' of asphalt at 750' above sea level. Caribou, Maine is nearby so it's not without amenities, and Interstate 95 is an excellent road getting there.
There is a problem of course, inasmuch as there's hardly any racers or racecars in this part of the world.
"If you build it, they will come". We'll see.
So we're on a budget with a capital B. A particular variable cost is timing equipment rental. At this point getting a high quality system might not be the best way to spend money. You list guys we'd bet might be able to come up with a system that while not super accurate, might work fine to give the three guys that showed up an idea how fast they just went.
Not above soldering something together on a breadboard, etc..
Thanks alot. The Bobbys

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loring_Air_Force_Base