[Land-speed] Liquid to liquid cooling

Jim Webb jimwebb at nutsracing.com
Sun Mar 2 09:36:53 MST 2008

To all you guys that are running an engine coolant radiator submerged in a
box of water. Did you use any sizing guidelines, or just go with a bigger
radiator is better? What about the radiator itself? Did you use a regular
automotive radiator or something more exotic? What about using oil coolers
for this purpose? Would you care to share any anecdotal stories like, "My
800hp SBC was cooled with a 14x10x2 inch radiator submerged in 20 gal of
water. The start temp in the tank was 90 and at the end of the run it was
200."?

We run a radiator in a box on the truck and have 35 gal of external water.
The radiator is a salvaged small unit about Pinto sized and the external
water is pumped through the radiator. That system works OK, but now we're
designing for the lakester. Right now, I'm working with about 17 gal of
external water in the tank and am planning to use convection cooling in the
tank. I know the tank needs to be vented. Do you run a catch can? FWIW,
we're looking at about 300 hp in this configuration, with plans to up it to
about 500 in the future.

Thanks in advance.

Jim Webb

Choc Full o' Nuts