[Land-speed] 2 or 4 post lift?

Ed Weldon 23.weldon at comcast.net
Tue Jun 10 12:28:25 MDT 2008

Elon --
Very interesting question.  I couldn't use one of these things because my
shop ceiling is too low.
But before I'd buy one I'd run some basic structural calculations and look
for stresses over 10,000 psi (a very old rule of thumb for A-36 structural
steel and the like) assuming the loads I'd put on it.  Also I'd calculate
the Euler column thresholds on the posts.  For loads I'd figure actual
weights and allow 1.25 safety factor for mild shock loading.  I'd also
calculate the effect of the weight on the worst loaded post and multiply
that times 1.75 for the shock loading attendent to failure of a single
safety latch on top of the other loads.
And then there's the issue of earthquake loadings.  The Loma Prieta
earthquake caught my Dodge Dart station wagon up on jackstands and shoved it
4 feet to the side. (it survived unscathed)
I wouldn't dream of manufacturing and selling these things without a
licensed structural engineer's seal on the plans including his maximum load
ratings (unless maybe I was living out of the back of my pickup truck). And
good liability coverage too.....
Oh yeah, I've seen a good bit of imported square steel tube with defective
seam welds.  Something to examine for before buying.
My 2 cents worth.
Ed Weldon