[Land-speed] Tires,Mileage,etc/non LSR ?

Adin, David DavidAdin at mercydurango.org
Mon Jul 21 13:29:05 MDT 2008

Vee-hickle:  97 MKVIII LSC  (that means the short 3.27 gears) 4.6 4valve
motor, 4 speed AOD, a little bigger than mustang sized and heavy. 70 mph
is about 2100rpm.

This bugly car has two mileage modes: accumulated and instantaneous.
According to the book, the mileage is figured by flow - I checked the
first tank and it was within +/- 1 mpg fwiw.

I have learned that cruise control is about 2-4 mpg LESS than my foot
(barring any fun)

Last trip: 1100 miles round trip Durango (6600') to Las Vegas (1800') -
going "down" to vegas into the wind (70mph) 29 mpg.  Coming up to
durango with the wind = 30 mpg.  I believe in the flats w/ no wind @
60mph I could achieve 35 mpg!

It is interesting to watch the instantaneous readout while driving (no
cell phone or text thingie to play with) - very often I can back out of
the throttle, maintain speed and pick up 2-4 mpg!  Of course eventually
I lose momentum though . . .

Note: good to see the posts with documented results.

David, waiting for just one more "jackrabbit" start! (4mpg)