[Land-speed] Tires,Mileage,etc/non LSR ?

Jon Wennerberg jonwennerberg at nancyandjon.org
Mon Jul 21 13:12:02 MDT 2008

On Jul 21, 2008, at 3:01 PM, drmayf wrote:

Tom, Ed, all..

mayf

Speaking to something that Ed mentioned a few posts ago -- the fuel
computer display built into the dashboard.  On my '04 GMC pickup
there's one of the computers, and I've checked the accuracy -- only
to find it's a bit generous (when compared to my figuring of fuel
economy).  A couple of mpg too generous, in fact.  The 'puter might
show 25.4 mpg on a road trip -- and when I figure the number of
gallons burned and the number of miles driven (using the readouts
from the fuel stations and the corrected mileage shown on the
odometer ) I'll get something like 23.9 mpg.  These numbers are close
to the real world for me -- I do get mid-20's in my big pickup -- but
the computer shows even better.

I drive at or below posted speed limits 99% of the time, use the
cruise control as much as is possible, and don't do jackrabbit starts
-- all of which contribute to good mileage.  Again -- YMMV.

Jon Wennerberg