[Land-speed] Tire Diameter

Tom Bryant saltracer at awwwsome.com
Mon Jan 28 08:35:37 MST 2008

Hello to all,

This tire situation has been foremost in our minds for a long time. They say
that you never miss something until it gone. It use to be simple, just go to
Inglewood Tire and pick up some used Indy Tires for a few bucks and go
racing. After a time, Indy changed the tire configuration and these were no
longer available to us. However, Al Teague ran some of these 30 year old
tires which performed better for him than the Goodyears that were available.
I am sure that Firestone did not rate these at 400 MPH.

Has anyone checked with Gene Burkland about this Dunlop tire. He has tested
many different tires.  From my experience and information I have received,
the most important things that you look in a tire at is the basic structure
and how much rubber is on it. In our venue of racing, centrifugal force
plays a big part in whether a tire will survive. The less rubber the less
weight  to be acted upon by that force. Another concern is how much power
you are putting through the tire. I know some had trouble with the Goodyear
Front Runners on their drive wheels.

What we do is always on the edge. The reason the tire manufacturers are
reluctant to put forth a speed rating on a tire is the liability issue. All
the waivers in the world don't mean much when a case goes to court. My
advice is to get the best tire available for your particular situation, make
sure you have the correct air pressure in it and that the tire has adequate
clearances, get rid of the excess rubber and go racing. The Dunlop in
question appears to be on a very good carcass. I just needs to have the
excess rubber removed. I run the M&H Front Runners unmassaged. We have run
250 mph without problems. I understand that if they are shaved, they are
good to 300+.

We were in a critical position with tire so I purchased four of the Mickey
Thompson 7.00X18"'s. That is overkill for my car, but all I have to concern
myself with is front tires now.

Tom, Redding CA - #216 D/FCC

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of faint_grain.jpg]

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/gif which had a name of imstp_pets_cat1_en.gif]