[Land-speed] Tire Diameter

J.D. Tone gmc6power at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 27 17:37:59 MST 2008

It looks like I need to state a few things. First I do not speak for the
SCTA. I'm a competitor who has volunteered to inspected vehicles for safety
according to the SCTA Rule Book. I volunteer help in impounds to determine
engine displacement. I comment here because I hate to see folks make the
same mistakes others including me have made. That's it..............Period.
Stating during inspection that JD said "....." will get my never ending
silent treatment and probably laughed at. Next year I won't be inspecting at
all.

What does the line right under speed ratings say??? All together now page 18
"In excess of 200 MPH: Special tires for racing as designated by the
manufacturer"

 I guess you have never looked at a Dunlop. Embossed in the rubber are the
words "DUNLOP RACING". That was good enough for me when I started using them
on a 196 record. I was not the first. At this time I believe enough
competitors have used them to get an idea of their limits. I do not know of
anyone using them who has not been cautious. There is a gas roadster which
has run them 236 and has not shown a problem. I do not know the weight of
the vehicle or whether it spins the tires.

LSR, as all high speed endeavors, is a risky busness. You accept the risk
when you build or buy a car or chassis. You accept the risk when you get in
it. You accept the risk when you purchase many of the items in or on it.

Remember the SCTA is not in the tire business. Many tire manufacturers will
not answer speed inquires. How many records over 250-400 were set on 40 year
old Firestone Indy tires?

I do not like to discourage anyone but if you cannot accept this; perhaps
Top Fuel drag racing is for you where you get to run a spec tested tire
which of course is safe and would never blow up or explode. Once again Good
Luck