[Land-speed] Tire Diameter

J.D. Tone gmc6power at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 27 21:42:31 MST 2008

Thanks Elon, It's easy to mistake a lawyer looking for blame. I don't know
if the RACING ONLY is a free pass. Remember the Dunlops we are talking about
say DUNLOP RACING the "only" is not on them. I went out and looked at one of
my 700x18's to see how much of the "jibberish" of the normal street tire was
on it. The only thing is the made in England  and the date/mold code ( with
a little research I could figure it out). The same thing is true of the
GoodYear Front runners (not LSR tire) I have run them on the back of my
roadster to 196. I use 24.5" M & H on the front. None are LSR tires and I
feel confident. Confident enough to put in my grandson. I'm not trying to
find a loophole either. I needed taller tires and found others were
"carefully" testing the Dunlops. I bought a set of 550's and got my son in
the 2 club and then bought the 700's and got me in. For most LSR guys if you
don't have exsessive HP and wheel spin these tires are more than
satisfactory for how we use them. We don't circle Daytona for hours; we run
on cold salt for 2 minutes.

As an inspector, when I first saw them (Dunlops) my mind started to click. I
read what they said, looked in the book, and thought here's a guy trying to
find something that we could use.  I believe the Blockleys (sp?) have been
tested by our competitors also. I know of one roadster runing them.

When I bought my roadster it came with a set of GY 24" Blue Streaks with a
BNI 200+ stamp on them. I took them off for the M & H's. Where the stamp
came from? I don't know but the car started running in the early 70's.

As I have stated as long as we are carefull with them and don't cause
excessive wheel spin and heat I believe they will perform better than
expectations. I would hope the association would not outlaw them if someone
is not careful and has an "dumb s--t" accident. I know we can't outlaw
stupidity; but keeping it to a minimum would be nice...Once again Good luck

I appreciate you cautious approach with the Dunlops and I was aware of the
rule book caveat. However, I thought it had to be backed up with
manufacturer's data. I still have a set of Blue Streaks (stamped for racing
only) that would not be safe over 150 mph.

It's not about finding a loophole or doing an end-run around the rules. It
is about showing up after a year's work and not being sent home on the
trailer! I thought tech was looking for factual information or engineering
data, about a safe speed. I didn't realize that rubber stamped RACING ONLY
was a free pass.  -Elon