[Land-speed] Motorcycle Lift Table ? -non LSR

Jon Wennerberg jon at infodestruction.com
Tue Jan 8 06:32:37 MST 2008

On Jan 7, 2008, at 4:51 PM, Dick J wrote:

Tony,

   The neatest setup I've ever seen was not hydraoulic or mechanical,
it was a simple balance rig similar to what used car dealerships use
to put thier cars up on display.  When there is no vehicle on it, it
looks like an incline ramp.  As a vehicle is placed on it and moved
forward, the center of gravity moves past the balance fulcrum, and
the rig tilts forward.  I liked the ones I saw so much that I built
three of them for my shop back when I was in the business.

   If you're interested, but unsure of what I mean, drop me a note
off line and I'll try to send you a drawing.

   DickJ
   In East Texas

Dick, back a few years ago I worked at a car dealership and now and
then was the guy that drove the cars onto one of those rigs.  It was
always a bit scary -- will I go too far and the car will bump the
front bumper into the steel guards at the end?  Will I stop too soon
and I'll have to back down and the thing will BUMP back down?  I
never had any incidents -- but at least of of the other salespeople
did.  I remember the fun we all had when Dave H. went up the ramp a
little too hard, too fast -- and off the far end.  I think he'll
still paying for that damage claim.

So anyway -- putting a bike onto one of those would be a scary
proposition if you ask me, since the rider wouldn't have anyplace to
put his feet to balance himself when forward motion stops -- and it'd
be quite a feat for a pair of bystanders to help steady the bike once
it stopped moving.  I suppose you could construct the thing with a
companion pair of stands at the level of the leveled-out rig -- so
the rider would have someplace for his feet -- and then remove the
side stands to work on the bike.

Sounds like quite a chore to me.

                 Jon Wennerberg
Seldom Seen Slim Land Speed Racing