[Land-speed] Non-LSR turban, part three

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Feb 18 10:40:14 MST 2008

Tom Bryant wrote:
> Being one that has ridden motorcycles with my hair (not much hair anymore)
> blowing in the wind, I can sympathize with the non-helmet crowd and
> non-governmental interference in our lives. However, that being said, there
> are many areas of our life where we don't seem to be intelligent enough to
> care for our selves. Plus, as a society, we have invited government to be
> responsible for our safety and the taxpayer to pick up the tab for
> individual stupidity. Talk to a nurse in emergency and you get a very
> negative view of the results of motorcycle mishaps.
>
> I think the thing that has driven helmet and seatbelt laws is a fact that,
> in an accident,  there is less trauma to the body if these safety devices
> are employed. And quite often someone else has to pay the hospital bill.
>
> Tom, Redding CA - #216 D/FCC

As an ex-paramedic my opinion is if you want to ride sans helmet go for
it but don't whine if you're involved in an accident and you're
prioritized last since paramedics can then take that as a sign that you
care very little about your own well being. If first responders are
exempt from helping in order of need those who wish to behave
irresponsibly and the emergency personnel in the hospital are also
allowed to prioritize the helmetless last over everyone else then I
don't' see the problem.
I've scrapped up kids who were too cool to wear their seatbelts and
motorcyclists who were too cool to wear a helmet more times than I care
to recall. If you want to place your reckless individuality over the
public good be my guest but when society reciprocates just remember your
pressing need for rugged individualism and take care of your own injuries.
In the end the public has the right to legislate the publicly built
roadways. You can ride sans a helmet on your own property but on the
publics roads the publics majority will is law. There are lots of
restrictions on what one can and cannot do in the public sphere. Safety
equipment falls squarely within the purview of motor vehicle legislation.
Do any of you oppose the mandatory use of helmets in racing or record
breaking? Why is this any different? Buy enough property to ride an
off-road bike around on without a helmet if you need the wind in your
hair that much.

John Thornton