[Land-speed] OT: A Win XP Pro vs Vista Question...

Bryan Savage b.a.savage at wildblue.net
Wed Dec 10 16:44:11 MST 2008

Mayf,
I got home!

***

Doug's got the right idea. Because there are major differences between
Vi$ta and XP Pro,
most Vi$ta programs programs won't run on XP.

If anyone thinks they can install Vi$ta ad then go back to XP ---- they
are flat WRONG.
Vi$ta is user lethal!

My basic approach would be:
Copy the current partition to a USB drive with a Floppy Dick program
like Partition Magic.
What ever you use, it must create an identical bootable partition that
you can copy back
and use. The usb drive should have enough space for a backup copy if the
XP partition that
you are working on. I suggest backing up XP after each major change.
Then using the internet and a lot of time, install XP and start moving
your data using
information from the internet. You will be able to get all of the
information from the
internet if  you're patient.

NOTE:
Some data may not be movable. You will need to obtain XP versions of
most programs.
BEFORE buying an XP version, call their Support Group and ask how you
can move
your data -- Vista -> XP. Some software doesn't have useful support,
don't buy it!!

I must have missed something, so if  "it"  isn't obvious, keep asking
(the internet) until it is!!!
Remember it won't be easy, but you can beat it into submission.

All the best,
Bryan

OBTW    In my opinion, XP Pro is vastly superior to Vi$ta.