[Land-speed] Inertia Switch Specs...

Rick Byrnes Rick at RBMotorsports.com
Fri Dec 5 07:18:23 MST 2008

Dave
The switches are manualy re set (Ford has a push button on top)
Mine are mounted in the same plane as oem did, and is only mildy
inaccessable being under the seat.
I really think from past experience with this same switch being in millions
of vehicles, that it will only activate in an accident at which point
resetting is sort of a moot point.

As I wrote at landracing.com, an inertia switch is in every fuel injected
vehicle, including Ford Diesels, that have been made since I think 1979.
Virtually all of our push trucks, and I don't think we have seen a
activation while bumping into a race car.

Doc
I don't think SCTA will cause us to demonstrate function, but look for its
proper installation, and wiring to be functional.  Since mine is under the
seat, I'm gonna have to make sure they can see it by removing body panels.
but liners are inspected naked.  I think a note in the log book is probably
a good starting point.
I suggest goint to a junkyard, getting one of these things and playing with
it.  We did that when they first went into production, and found you can
shake it really hard  and activate it, then reset and do it again.
They don't sense rollover, but will trip with a hard enough impact in
directions other than for/aft.

OEM (ford) mounts them either in the trunk (side panel) or foot well.  We
have complete design freedom.  I chose to mount next to the  high current
solenoids that control electrical systems.

A few years ago I remember watching a video of a little lakester going
upside down and running on for about 30 seconds after coming to a stop.
Nothing bad happened, but could have.
I really think this new rule is a good inclusion.

OK, I'm not gonna write about this subject again.
I get to work in the garage today.  Oh and put up Christmas lights.
Tis a special season for Glenys and I.