[Land-speed] Fwd: Modern Marvels: Salt airing 12/1, tonight!

Jonathan jon.the.wise at gmail.com
Wed Dec 3 00:22:27 MST 2008

On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 6:06 AM, MEIERLE Mike
<Mike.Meierle at alcatel-lucent.com> wrote:

> Jon,
> Gotta remember Flatheads still run on the salt, Wes's VCR is likey a
> Betamax....:-)

I contend that if Betamax had won out over VHS, it would have lasted
longer before dvd was adapted.

On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 6:21 AM, Adin, David <DavidAdin at mercydurango.org> wrote:
>Call me when you throw your carbs away . . .

Well, the carbs I would be throwing away would be worthless to you - a
couple 1bbls that came off an old F100 and have been living in a 5
gallon bucket (often full of water) in the back of said truck.

On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 6:31 AM, Wester Potter <wester6935 at comcast.net> wrote:
> Yeah ... I can record a program on the tivo ... if my daughter tells
> me what to do.  What I want to do now is save it so I can pass it
> along to someone else.  My VCR still works and I'm not too
> proud to use it.  AND! I have a photo I took over 50 years ago
> on the salt of the bed of a pickup carrying two flathead motors
> with a sign on the back window:
> "GOD BLESS THE FLATHEADS"!

Flatheads are, for lack of a better word, badass. VCRs, not so much. I
still have mine hooked up. I use it to switch between the Cable Box
(UHF into the VHS on Channel 4) and my DVD player (line1) and Wii
(line2). I have a PS3, the VCR, and my DVR (which isn't a tivo,
exactly, but a more complex system (built from 2 PC computers) than
most consumers will ever want to deal with... fortunately for me, it
works better than a TiVo ever could, and is ever expandable.

I've never felt a TiVo was that complex, I figure, if you can program
a VCR (and it doesn't flash 12:00) then you can probably figure out
the TiVo. As for sharing with others... well, I would just burn to DVD
(which is a function of my DVR that the TiVo lacks) and in that case,
your VCR wins over the TiVo.

--
~Jon