[Land-speed] diesel trucks & fuel mileage

Tom Gerardi desotoman at dslextreme.com
Fri Aug 1 12:55:43 MDT 2008

Back in 1984 my brother bought an Isuzu mini pickup, about the size of the
Toyota Tacoma. One of the reasons he bought the Isuzu was it was the only
one he could sit in and not hit his head on the ceiling. (he is very long
waisted) Back then they offered a small diesel motor with all of 50 HP as
an option. We took it out for a test ride and it climbed the Calabasses
grade in 5th gear without loosing speed. So he purchased it. The next year
we took it to Speedweek and on the way home I wanted to see just what kind
of mileage I could get out of this little motor. I put the tailgate down
and keep it at 55-60 MPH from Wendover to Las Vegas. When we filled up in
Las Vegas we had gotten just over 50 mpg. Not bad for a non aero brick.
They no longer sell those trucks in the US, what a shame.

Tom Gerardi